Often Incoherent ~ Always Menopausal

I Never Said I Was Perfect!

Thursday, January 04, 2007

This Steams Me!

Over at JoeMyGod there's a conversation thread going on about gay men having sex in a steam room at Gold's Gym SF.

In general, I say boys will be boys, and wherever gay men congregate, there's apt to be public sex. Not that I judge it, one way or the other.

What pisses me off though, is the attitude that at least one gay man shared in his comments to Joe's post. I quote:

Back in the 90's I worked at SF Gold's Gym on Bryant, which I would judge to have had a 90% gay clientele, at the least. And yes, sex did go on the in steam room although the guys were as discreet about it as possible.
Then one day, to my knowledge the only straight member there witnessed some act of sex in there and immediately reported it to the management and the owner followed by a huge complaint, and signs were posted forbiding any act of sex in public, with threats to close the steam room.
Since there are no longer gay venues for gay men to use, where are we supposed to go to have sex in that city? Oh, I get it, we're supposed to NOT have sex, since there are no bath houses now. Yeah, sure.
I think the whole thing is a sad commentary on the repression of the gay community since AIDS.


Now tell me, what on earth makes this man think he's entitled to a place for him to have sex.

There are no places explicitly set aside for heterosexuals to go and engage in sex. We have to go to his place, her place, or a hotel. Where does this gay man get off copping an attitude of entitlement like that? I mean... geez, I'm scratching my head on this one.

2 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Blogger nexy said...

"what on earth makes this man think he's entitled to a place for him to have sex."

the patriarchy. boys are socialized with a sense of entitlement.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger L said...

yeah, super ridiculous. i hate it when ANY group tries to play the whole "oh poor me, everybody hates me" card just because they are a minority of some kind. there is a difference between equal rights and special rights.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home