Often Incoherent ~ Always Menopausal

I Never Said I Was Perfect!

Friday, June 23, 2006

Friends.......

Sassywife's post got me to thinking about friends. More to the point, my lack thereof.

Currently, I have 2 friends whom I speak to regularly. 2. TWO.

I asked myself why that might be, and the answer is clear. Dickhead.

Over the course of our time together, I introduced him to all of my friends at one time or another, and he despised each and every one of them. All for different reasons, none of which made sense. Nonetheless, he made sure that I had nobody in my life who would distract my attention away from him.

One girl, JoAnn, had been my closest friend since grade school days. She & I were roommates back in my college days when neither of us had two dimes to rub together. We went through some really financially rough times together, but we always managed through, and we had a great time doing it. I sang at her father's funeral, she sang at my father's funeral. I stood up as maid of honor while she made the mistake of marrying her husband, and she did the same for me. Her daughter called me "aunt." I taught her to cook Portuguese style, and she taught me Norwegian cooking. I taught her to swear in Portuguese, she taught me to swear in Norwegian. Back in the day, the outgoing message on our home answering machine was; "You've reached the Pleasure Dome. Neither mistress is available at the moment, but tell us your fantasy... you'll feel better!"

Anyway, I haven't spoken to JoAnn in about 3 years. I suppose I could drop in on her, and she would be surprised, but hospitable... but I can't bring myself to do it. I should never have let him get between us like he did.

Now....... I am an island.

6 Comments:

At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why can't you contact her? Do it :)

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Jos said...

Oh call her! I am sure she will be happy to hear from you. I have done the same, distanced myself from people for one reason or another. . .but I have managed to bridge those gaps.

Don't know how to say call her in Portuguese, but here it is in Spanish, llamala!!!!!!!

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger L said...

i don't have many friends either (can count my girlfriends with one hand) but i have found its better to have one or two good close friends than 4502952 catty bitchy friends.

if she was one of the good ones you should call her.

 
At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an island too, except my island mate is my hubby. Thinking about this whole friendship issue, it does not only affect us woman. Hubby only talks to one or two frieds. And all these guys he used to talk to everyday. I think it is all a part of growing up.

I think Writer could not have said it any better. I would not trade my 2 friends for slews of friends who wants to steal my husband or tell my secrets. Too bad you are too far away. I would love to come watch you DJ and might even sign if you get me liquored up enough.:)

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Jos said...

So did you call her? I have very few friends myself, but the ones I do have, I try to keep. I suppose I don't make much sense. . .Vicodin, remember?

Keep me posted.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Crazybeautiful said...

I ran across this article the other day, just as you had put the post up. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060626/od_nm/life_friends_dc

 

Post a Comment

<< Home