Often Incoherent ~ Always Menopausal

I Never Said I Was Perfect!

Saturday, October 14, 2006

D-Day

Well, today's the day. Dupree is moving into his own place.

How do I feel about it? I feel like my mother-in-law just drove my new Cadillac off a cliff - Mixed Emotions!

On the one hand, it's been a L.O.N.G. 3 months. I've had no life because A) I have no privacy, and B) I have to be available on his schedule to cart him back & forth to work, and C) He's a supreme slob and I'm tired of putting up with his slovenly ways.

But on the other hand, he's my only brother and he's emotionally crippled which makes him less than self sufficient. I'm worried that he won't have a decent life on his own because he earns so little. I feel guilty because in order for him to make his rent, he won't be able to afford things which are no longer considered a luxury; things like a land line telephone, cable TV, Internet access. I'm sad because other than me, he has nobody else in this world to even talk to. He'll be alone all the time, and that's no way to live.

But on the other hand, he's taken advantage of me while he's been here. He does nothing to help himself without my constant prodding and nagging. Many of his woes are of his own doing.

But then again on the other hand, many of his woes are NOT of his own doing.

But then again, is it my responsibility to support him and coddle him for the rest of his days? Am I a terrible sister for insisting that at 52 years of age, he get up on his own 2 feet and at least TRY?

I am so torn over this. I actually feel ill to my stomach.

Why must I be such a bleeding heart?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, Blogger nexy said...

"Am I a terrible sister for insisting that at 52 years of age, he get up on his own 2 feet and at least TRY?"

no, you are a wonderful sister for putting him up for three months, and providing three months (and i'm sure much more) of prodding and support toward helping him become self sufficient.

when your help results in getting yourself sick, that's when said help becomes counter productive. you've done more than can be expected, or even hoped for. it's time to "cut the cord" so to speak.

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger L said...

whats up with you and i and brother problems?
i think you are a great sister. i hope that if my brother ever needed me the way dupree needed you, i'd step up to the plate like you have.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Jos said...

You are a superb human being. You have been there for him and the "tough love" has to begin. It's rough. . .my heart goes out to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home