Often Incoherent ~ Always Menopausal

I Never Said I Was Perfect!

Friday, February 24, 2006

A Prediction

The pope has elevated several Bishops and Archbishops to the level of Cardinal. Among them, Archbishop Sean Patrick O'Malley.

Cardinal O'Malley was the Archbishop of the Diocese of Fall River for ten years, before the sex scandal rocked the Vatican, at which point he was the Vatican's "clean-up" man sent out to sweep up the very messy load of crap left behind by years of pedophilia ignored by the powers that be within the Catholic church.

I've had the pleasure of hearing Cardinal O'Malley speak, both from the pulpit, and beyond. He is the only Catholic clergy member who has ever moved me. He emits sincerity with every word. He speaks with a mild Irish lilt, and his words take you to places in your mind and your heart, that few others are able to bring you.

The first time I saw him was during a very ethnic procession, at the Portuguese church where I belonged as a child. They were celebrating the Feast of The Holy Ghost, which for the Portuguese faithful, is a BIG DEAL.

There were little girls dressed like angels, complete with huge feathered wings. Little boys dressed like Saint Joseph, or Saint Somebody or other. There were local politicians, local beauty queens, Knights of Columbus in all their regalia... everybody dressed to the nines.

And then, walking alone, carrying a staff, came this man dressed in Franciscan Friar robes, with Jesus sandals on his feet. No pomp, no circumstance. Just a bearded Friar, walking in sandals, blessing the faithful along the route. This was then, Bishop Sean O'Malley.

I couldn't believe my eyes because, this church, and the whole Diocese in fact, was used to very flamboyant church leaders. At the time, it was the wealthiest Diocese in New England, and the priests, and church leaders lived in high style, driving Cadillacs and wearing Italian leather shoes.

He just looked so kind, and so... well... kind, is the best word I think to describe him, that I decided I wanted to hear him speak.

After the procession, he celebrated mass... something I had sworn off since I was a child of 12 or so (that's another story.) But he made me want to hear him, and I'm glad I did. He made me almost want to become an active member of the Catholic church again.

Whenever I got the chance to hear him speak, I did.

I was not surprised in the least that the Vatican turned to him to clean up the particularly nasty pedophilia messes in both the Fall River and Boston Diocese. The man has a calming effect second to none.

And now he's a Cardinal.

My prediction is he will be Pope.

1 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger Sybil said...

If you had ever been in this man's presence, you would not even be able to fathom such a thought about him. I'm telling you, he is truly a holy man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home